The book Looking
For Alaska by John Green takes place in Alabama at Culver Creek boarding
High School. When new student, Miles Halter comes to the school as a junior, he
instantly makes lots of friends who are compassionate and kind but aren’t
necessarily a good influence on him. He is immediately absorbed in a great deal
of unruly, and harmful activities such as smoking and drinking. Near the end of
the year, Miles and his friends are forced to deal with the sudden death of
their close friend Alaska Young who was killed in a so called “suicidal” car
crash. Throughout the story, symbolism
is used to express the characters emotions and feelings.
One example of
symbolism in the story is the cigarettes. I think the cigarettes are used to
symbolize death and self-destruction. For example, the author states, “Why do you smoke so damn fast? I asked…. She
smiled with all the delight of a kid on Christmas morning and said, y’all smoke
to enjoy it. I smoke to die.” This shows how within everyone there is a speck
of self-loathing.
Another example of
symbolism in the story is the smoking hole. Throughout the story, the smoking
hole is used to symbolize friendship and independence. For example, the author
states,“ cooled by the creek and the shade of the bridge, I felt unhot for the
first time in weeks. The Colonel dispensed the cigarettes. Takumi passes; the
rest of us lit up.” This shows how the smoking hole is a safe place where the
characters can talk and connect to each other.
Overall, I loved
this book because it used symbolism to connect the characters. Friendship is
huge part of the book because it allows the story to unfold and it lets the
characters express their emotions on the present events and situations. I think
the author did a great job displaying feelings and emotions from the
characters. I think that doing this really helped the readers connect to the
characters and the situations presented in the book.
I love this!! I've never read this book, but you made me really want to read it! I found your first body paragraph especially interesting, I think the concept of the smoking representing self-destruction is not only symbolism, but a true fact! I also like the way you incorporated the idea of friendship into your conclusion. Can't wait to read this book!! -Natasha Ruscoll
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post! I thought that you did a great job of explaining your thoughts on the book! You also used symbolism to show the concept of smoking (like Natasha said) which i think is really great! Great job!! :)
ReplyDelete