Sunday, March 15, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

The book "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" is about the journey of 16 year old Jacob. After the traumatic death of his grandfather, Jacob travels to a remote island off the coast of Wales where his grandfather spent his childhood living in a children's home for "peculiar" children. While on the island, Jacob makes several shocking discoveries about his grandfather's past. Throughout the story, the setting is very important to the plot and overall development of the story.
In the story, the island of Cairnholm is extremely important to the story. Jacobs entire adventure takes place there. While Jacob is there, he notices how different Cairnholm is from his home town. It is very rustic and old and in no way is modern which helps Jacob connect to a time when his grandfather lived there. One example of this is, "I soon discovered that almost no one in Cairnholm even had a phone. I found only one number for the entire island." This shows how the island hasn't changed a lot and is still very outdated. Another example is, "it was my grandfathers island... As I gazed up at its sheer cliffs, tops disappearing in a reef of ghostly clouds , the idea that this was a magical place didn't seem so ridiculous." This shows how even just seeing the island reminds Jacob of his grandfather and the stories he used to tell.
Cairnholm is also very important to the story because it helps Jacob uncover his grandfather's past and secrets. One example of this is, "' what the hell for?' He growled when I told him where I wanted to go... I explained about my grandfather and the children's home." This shows how the island for Jacob, is the door to his grandfather's past.
The book " Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" uses setting heavily to help develop the plot. Without the setting, the story would be completely different. The setting in this book is what makes it interesting and exciting.

1 comment:

  1. This book seems very interesting, but I feel that the evidence isn't the best for some paragraphs. The paragraph about his grandfather's past gives evidence that doesn't really tell anything new about his past, it just restates what we already knew in evidence form. Also the one about it being magical seems out of place because it's about its oldness, not about how it's magical.

    ReplyDelete